What Is Your Fear?
Are you pursing the goals that matter most to you?
Are you satisfied with your level of success?
Are you glad to be where you are in life?
Are you playing YOUR own game or are you playing someone else’s game?
Everything seems hard. We are all busy and we are all tired. We all don’t have enough money. We all know someone who says we can’t or that we would never make it. And then we are worried with what comes next. Are these excuses familiar to you?
What about these –
- Fear of change
- Fear of failure
- Fear of not being good enough
- Waiting for something to happen
- Being overwhelmed with all that you have to do
- Not knowing how
Well guess what – there is a battle going on….. and it is between your ears!!
While your fears may be real they are not good enough reasons for inaction. Your biggest work is in front of you.
One of the most powerful, definitely frightening, and certainly most challenging actions we can take is to be fully responsible for who we are, how we behave and how we want to live our life.
It’s so much easier to blame others when things go wrong, when you get angry, upset or fearful when nothing seems to go right. When your boss avoids you, your partner abuses you or your family puts you down. But how would it be if you could take control – and turn this around? Powerful? – Yes, and it’s all in your hands.
So here are some tips to help you overcome your excuses. They are not in any particular order. Some are quick solutions and others take work –
- Identify your goal and embrace it. Use this question as a start. What do you want the change to look like? How will that give your life meaning? Think about it – even go for a walk to reflect on it.
- Create the space – even a small space (or time) to make a change.
- Be accountable to someone while surrounding yourself with others making similar changes themselves.
- Get help and insight to uncover and understand the core of the fear that is holding you back.
- Take small steps that will move you forward. Movement begets movement. Now take another small step…… and change is created.
I find that most of my clients have difficulty addressing their fears because, in the end, it might show how vulnerable they really feel. However if we don’t understand what is holding us back how can we then create the lives we truly desire.
You know by letting any of your worries (also known as fears) out into the light and talking about it with someone who understands, it becomes a whole lot easier to see the situation or issue for what it really is. Just venting can make a huge difference to your perspective.
If you don’t have anyone to talk to at the moment write it out. It means you get your issue out of your head, clarify your thoughts and find clarity in the small steps available to you to move forward.
Choose to no longer go along with the ride. It is your turn to drive. Choose your own route and own what comes of it. It is really time to decide what you intend to do next and what the next few years will mean to you. Self leadership is all about leading the life you want, while energised for success!
About the Author: For over 25 years Babette Bensoussan has served as an advisor to organisations and business leaders around the world. A recognised global authority on Competitive Intelligence, and one of the most published authors and well-regarded speakers in her field, Babette brings valuable insights to entrepreneurs, business leaders and senior executives.